The Internet is one of the most important inventions of our time, it has been incorporated in our day to day life to such an extent that without it survival for one day is also unimaginable. But for years Internet was a people space, with all the information, books, recordings, images etc which were available on the Internet were created by the people, for the people, and about the people. Today, that has changed as today a new internet has emerged known as the Internet of Things (IoT).
The Internet of Things connects home appliances, vehicles, industrial machines, wearable devices, etc with each other forming a network, thus allowing them to send, receive and exchange data that they acquire from their surrounding resulting in them forming a connectivity among themselves. This is achieved with the help of sensors, software, hardware and actuators which are embedded into the devices and machines. Internet of Things, in simpler words, is the technology which makes our lives more efficient and easier.
Origin of IoT
Kevin Ashton, a British technology pioneer, was the first one to coin the term ‘Internet of Things’. He introduced the phrase in a presentation that he prepared for the Auto-ID Center at MIT in 1999, he is also one of the founders of the center, after which the phrase became popular and got stuck around. Kevin Ashton is reported to quote that, “The Internet of Things has the potential to change the world, just as the internet did. Maybe even more so.”
However, the concept of smart devices connected to the Internet was discussed as early as 1982 and around that time a modified Coke machine was developed at Carnegie Mellon University which become the first Internet-connected appliances that were able to report to inventory whether the freshly loaded coke was cold or not.
How IoT Works?
Basically, IoT works in four steps, which are:
- HARDWARE: The hardware helps to connect the physical objects with the Internet by using digital item, so basically hardware senses the things.
- DATA: It is facts and statistics that are collected from the surrounding of the devices, thus making sense of all the things that are happening around. Data is considered as the universal language of things.
- SOFTWARE: All the data that is collected is interpreted with the help of software which analyzes the data, controls it and allow it to do the valuable things, i.e, it takes data from the hardware and make it do the required work.
- CONNECTIVITY: The important step that makes the whole IoT work is the connectivity, therefore a proper InternetIoT functioning.
All the physical devices and objects which are installed with sensors, processors, and communication hardware are connected to the Internet of things platform. The data from all the different devices and objects are integrated and analyzed in order to share the important data with the applications that are designed to do a specific job. IoT platform is able to differentiate between the important data and the data that can be ignored, thus the valuable data received will be used to detect patterns, make recommendations, understand surrounding, predict the outcome and in some cases also estimate a possible future problem.
These devices and objects are able to communicate with each other by a process known as machine-to-machine communication (M2M)
Where IoT is applied?
From the time the concept of IoT came into existence in the form of various products and services that are available today, people have dreamt of having smart devices or appliances which will make their lives easier.
- Lights coming out as we walk into the house or it gets dimmed according to the requirement.
- The automatic adjustment of heating in the house depending on the temperature outside.
- Wearable fitness devices that track one’s heart rate, the number of steps etc giving a complete idea to the user about his or her health and fitness requirements.
These are among few of the thousands and thousands of IoT services available in the market today.
IoT is not just applied for the convenience and ease of consumers but they also have applications in a variety of industries, as it offers new sources of data and business operating models which boost the productivity.
Here are different industries where IoT is already succeeding:
- HEALTH CARE: Wearable devices have a huge market today, with many opting for it in order to monitor their day to day activity, heart rate, fitness status etc.
- MANUFACTURING: In this field, IoT has proven to be highly beneficial with data collecting sensors embedded in the machinery to warehouse shelves allowing the workers to have a full track of all the problems and resources, thus making work more efficient.
- RETAIL: IoT has also found its way to retail industries were it is considered to be highly profitable to both consumers as well as retailers. With the help of IoT technology, store’s security has become stronger, tracking of inventory is becoming simpler and consumers are also able to have more personalized shopping experience.
- TELECOMMUNICATIONS: IoT had a huge impact on telecommunication industry as this industry is responsible for handling and keeping all the data that IoT uses.
- UTILITIES: IoT has also been applied in this industry with products like smart meters which collects data automatically and apply analytics to track and manage energy use.
- TRANSPORTATIONS: IoT influences transportations at a large scale, with its help vehicles have become technologically more advanced and safe, also GPS system is able to monitor roadways and ensures safety.
Future of IoT
We are in early stage of yet another technological revolution courtesy IoT. This technology is being incorporated into a variety of products and services that are available today which have been developed with the purpose of making people’s lives easier. The emerging of smart cities, connected factories, connected cars etc are the proof of how the world is adapting IoT. The Internet of Things is fundamentally expected to transform businesses, generate enormous economic value and create great social value.
All around the world experts have been researching to understand IoT, its features and how it will change the lives of people in the future. Here are few predictions that are done by experts from different fields:
- Experts predict that by 2020IoT platform and the overall global market value of IoT will reach around $7.1 trillion by 2020.
- More and more cities will become smart cities, i.e, IoT will not just be used by the consumers but also cities will adopt smarter technologies in-order to save time and money which means cities will be able to automate, remotely manage and collect data through surveillance systems, visitors tickets etc.
- IoT will bring transformation in businesses similar to how the introduction of the Internet changed the face of business. More and more companies will opt for IoT as it boosts productivity, increases efficiency, and saves time and money.
- As billions and billions of things will be connected with Internet projecting petabytes of data and application developers will develop millions of new apps which will require the space for mindshare. As result companies and consumers will fight for mindshare with only a few of them rising to the top.
- IoT platforms are the key to success, which will result in ‘Things’ becoming inexpensive, development of a large number of applications and connectivity will cost pennies.
Certain facts that have always been an issue related with IoT is the security and privacy. If everything goes online it becomes of prior importance to keep the data safe. As the things are online consumer can get the data but it also gives an open space to the attacker or hacker to get the data and gain unauthorized access to the device. Also, the IoT results in the collection of the consumer’s personal data so if there is no proper protection there can be a leak of all the personal data of the consumer which can be an unfavorable condition.
Internet of Things in simple word is the concept of technology that connects the things around us, from light bulbs to heaters, cars to smartphones etc, with the Internet forming a network for all the things to communicate with each other.
From the time the Internet of Things came into the picture, it has been the talk of the town. IoT is the technology that has a great potential to impact the way one lives and works. From companies to cities, house to workplace more and more people are now switching to IoT because of the various features and advantages that it has to offer. IoT is able to make the way we work, study, cook, travel etc more satisfying and well-organized. With IoT, the future of the world seems brighter, easier and more enjoyable.
Decision Tree Consulting is known for its team with immense knowledge and experience. If you want to know more about the above content and like to understand it more precisely please contact us, as we are one of the best Software Development Company in Tulsa, Oklahoma. At Decision Tree Consulting we consider your problem like one of our own.